Monday, August 03, 2020

Fox by Riolis - post #1

I've done more on Chinese Garden Mandala (enough to justify a new progress post, I think!) but I have something a little different today! Over the weekend, I decided to start one of the projects on my new start list for the year! It's simply called Fox, a Riolis kit that uses the wool/acrylic Safil threads.


I replaced the 14 count fabric with smokey pearl Belfast. It's actually a better match for the original fabric than this picture makes it look.

The instructions call for 2 strands of the yarn for most stitches, which is far too thick for my 32ct fabric (and honestly, it wouldn't look good on 14 either as each strand of yarn is equal to 2 DMC strands), so I'm stitching with only one strand. There's a bunch of blended colors in this design, so for those I'm using the darker color for the bottom leg and the lighter color on top. At first I tried separating the yarn since each 'thread' is two strands twisted together, but it loses its integrity without the twist and pulls apart into fuzz. Not recommended. :p

It's looking great so far!


I love the effect that the lightweight yarn gives to the piece. It's very slightly fuzzy with a completely matte look, very different from the shine of cotton. It's also easy to work with, aside from trying to thread the needle. :)

I'll definitely be sticking with this one for a while!

2 comments:

  1. Nice new start, the colours look lovely on your fabric. It's nice to try different threads for effect.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you have a blog, leave me a link so I can follow you. :)