Monday, July 13, 2020

Chinese Garden Mandala - post #3

Where are posts #1 and #2, you ask? #1 is from 2015, barely started, and #2 was in my WIPocalypse post from the very beginning of the year. Even worse, I've had this kit since 2011!

The last time I showed this, it was just the border (and not even a filled in border!) and four clouds. Now I'm nearly done with the regular cross-stitching and getting ready to do a LOT of rice stitches. I've changed the roof to yellow as planned - I saw a post on the Chatelaine Stitchers blog by Sandra ages ago and knew I had to try something similar. I like the color balance (less blue overall in the center) and it reminds me of the golden roofs of the real Forbidden City.

This isn't a good picture, but it's the best I have right now, haha! :)


I'm stitching with the full kit of suggested materials, including the Eterna silks. (Told you I've had this kit forever!) I also have an extra set of the Eterna threads that I ordered before realizing that assembling the kit myself was going to be very expensive, so I'm very happy to not have any stress about running out. I picked up a grab bag from Eterna at the same time, and it included a yellow that was perfect as my lightest roof color.

The Eterna silks are incredibly shiny in person! I wish it would come through in the picture. They're slightly fussy to work with since they don't have any give, so good tension is important. I find myself stitching a little more firmly than usual to make sure they stay flat against the fabric. It's a bit of a delicate balance between getting them to lay nicely and not pulling too tight. :)

I'm really enjoying this project so far and I'm sad I waited so long to continue it!

2 comments:

  1. It looks amazing! I've never tried silk threads; I've only ever used DMC and Anchor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so happy with it so far. :)
      DMC and Anchor are great threads too, I love them! This project is heavy on the silk to keep with the Chinese theme, I think. :)

      Delete

I love comments! If you have a blog, leave me a link so I can follow you. :)