Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Renaissance Mermaid - update #2 (plus dyeing!)

My birthday was over the weekend, so my wife took a couple of extra days off and we spent a lot of time doing fun stuff, including craft time. I made a ton of progress on Renaissance Mermaid. :)


I still wasn't able to find a thread color I liked for the dark blue at the edge of her fin, so... I busted out the dye kit I bought a while back and dyed a bunch of threads!


The top set was done with a smaller amount of dye, so the colors are more pastel. Only did 6 yards of each color because... I don't know, it seemed like a good idea at the time. But it's really not enough to do much of anything, so I made the rest of them 10 yards each (and one 20 yard color at the very bottom of this picture). Sadly, the second time around, all my reds faded to orange when they were rinsed, so I need to try again and figure out where I went wrong.

Here's a closeup of the tail!


I LOVE this color, it's pretty much exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately, that means I need to take out alllllll of the dark blue in the rest of her tail to replace it with this color. Sigh. Oh well, I've already stitched some areas three times, it won't kill me to do this part twice, right? RIGHT?

Next time, if I remember, I'll show the stitchy bits I got for my birthday. :3

~~~

Don't forget about my fabric sale! :)

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful job on the threads and glad you were able to create what you wanted. Good luck with the frogging too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Love the colours you dyed....they are amazing! And as for the frogging, it will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dyed threads look amazing! Lol no, a second time should be fine considering how much time you have put into the mermaid!!

    Sounds like you had a lovely birthday. Can't wait to see your gifts :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those threads are lovely and look perfect for the mermaid.
    Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job with those threads. I love the blue in the mermaid's tail. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you have a blog, leave me a link so I can follow you. :)