Thursday, September 15, 2016

Wintry Blooms Biscornu - Update #2

Whoops, it's been a week since my last update! Here's a new picture:


It's a small amount of progress compared to my usual pace, but I'm taking things slow for a while. I think I pushed too hard on Ghost Story... I had to bend myself into some weird positions to finish parts of her, and I think I put too much stress on my wrists and elbows. So I've been wearing wrist/elbow braces while sleeping and that seems to be helping, but I'm not 100% yet. Kind of annoyed and a bit worried about it, but I'm going to go easy for a while longer and see if that helps.

Okay, about "weird positions" and stuff, I basically use my body as a stitching stand whenever I use a 11x17 qsnap or larger. Generally I sandwich the qsnap between my legs and chest to hold it steady, which frees both of my hands so I can stitch two-handed. If it sounds ridiculous, it is. It also looks ridiculous, but I don't really care when I'm sitting on the couch at home. :)

Why not just use a stand? I've tried a few, but they're all in a jumbled pile of parts in the corner right now. None of them hold the stitching close enough to my face. (I'm nearsighted so I stitch without my glasses, but I need things to be relatively close or I can't see clearly enough!) I feel like I need something with two parts, like two separate jointed poles with a couple of clamps on them that would hold a qsnap firmly, and could also be rotated...

Hmm. Maybe I need to venture into the realm of design and construction!

7 comments:

  1. Great progress on this piece. Sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with wrists & elbows. I hope that they feel better really soon. I can often be found in some weird contorted positions while stitching as well, often I don't realise I'm doing it until something starts complaining

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful progress on the biscornu design.
    I hope rest and taking it easy will help make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely progress on this piece, I just love the colours.
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the wrists, i hope you get better soon.
    As per your "weird position" all I can say is that you're definitely not alone xD I was reading your description and thinking you're describing me to perfection. Exactely same position and for exactely the same reason, and yes, because I too like to have the frame close to me and I just can't find a stand that would keep it in that "perfect spot" for me to stitch without having to be all bended to the front. If you go all DIY you might get an order from me ahahah ;) xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are feeling better, I am thinking I need to try a stand too. Would love to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Piff you do make a stand, might I recommend soemthing that mimics what you already do?

    Less a stand and more a thing that hangs from your shoulders/neck/back that keeps the stitching close to your face? There's this thing that people have made out of metal coat hangers that hold phones. http://www.boredpanda.com/pokemon-hanger-poke-han-japan/
    Sort of like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your pains. The things we do for stitching!
    Your biscornu is looking gorgeous and I hope you're enjoying it, in small doses of course!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty :). I have the same problem but I like my stand. It's the floor stand from Michaels in the purple box

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you have a blog, leave me a link so I can follow you. :)