I've finished my first (and maybe last?) needlepoint project!
This is Reflections of Joy by Orna Willis. Hmm, looking at that page now, I realize that I didn't stitch the outermost border, but let me tell you who doesn't care. THIS girl. I think it looks much better without it!
It was a fun and easy stitch, but a bit fussy and expensive due to the many different types of thread used. If I'd been more knowledgeable going in, I definitely would have subbed out and consolidated some threads in order to reduce the cost and irritation. One thread was completely wrong in the list of materials, and some were barely used at all. I also nearly ran out of one thread, though I did have to frog a small area of stitching I'd done with it, so that was really my fault.
I did make a few substitutions, like using the green/yellow Wildflowers thread for the corner Jessica stitches, and I subbed a Waterlilies from my stash that was close enough to the rainbow-ish border. I also used gunmetal beads from my stash instead of the recommended bronze-y color. I think the dark beads look really good with the muted threads!
I found the directions a bit lacking, but maybe this project was intended for a somewhat experienced needlepointer. I didn't have any trouble because I've done plenty of specialty stitches, but the stitch diagrams and descriptions didn't measure up to what I'm used to getting with, say, a Chatelaine design. And Comic Sans everywhere... my sister would lose her mind!
Overall, it was a nice stitch and turned out just as I expected!
And I learned my lesson about reading directions and planning ahead! :)
I'll probably pick up another pattern by this artist so I can use up the remaining portion of the needlepoint canvas I bought, but I'll be smart and take advantage of my stash for the rest!
But for now... back to cross stitch! :3