Sorry for the pooptastic pictures, but it's hard to take good ones when it's dark outside and you have lame shaky hands that can't keep the camera steady! I'll add more as soon as I can. :)
The best "full" shot I got:
Lookit dem beads! :D
I decided that spiderweb roses don't belong in the ocean.
So I put real shells instead! :)
The handsome devil(fish)!
And I tried to scan it, but that didn't work either... this is the only part that came out okay!
As for the changes I made to the pattern... there are some worth noting. :)
- Changed top blackwork pattern to one of my own design. The original had a ton of stitches that were over only one thread, and it didn't look good on a dark fabric.
- Changed the color of top and bottom blackwork from green to purple (the thread I was subbing for the green was a lot darker than the actual color and it didn't show up against my fabric).
- Coral to the left of the octopus was moved in (toward the octopus) two stitches. It was way too close to the border originally. I had to rip this out and redo it or I'd never like it.
- The same coral has the lines stitched in orange, not yellow as charted.
- Large border shells are backstitched in brown PTB, NOT orange PPP.
- Outlined starfish (bottom left) with blue PTB instead of black DMC.
- Octopus suckers were done with white beads turned on their sides, because I'm clever like that.
- Replaced spiderweb roses in the border with real shells.
- Stitched dense shells on border with peachy Kreinik, not yellow DD silk.
And finally, most of the threads were subbed with whatever I had in my stash, though I suspect all the DD silks were the correct colors. I have a bunch of unmarked DDs that I got in grab bags of slightly imperfect threads, and they matched the colors I found by looking online.
So that's my first Chatelaine finish! It won't be my last. :Db