Thursday, February 03, 2011

a mermaid & a finish

Finally updating again. :)

Made lots of progress on the mermaid! She's from a UK magazine. I know it's hard to tell from the pic, but the circle border around her is metallic gold, and the blue backstitching is also a metallic.

TIP for the DMC metallics: Seal the cut ends of the threads with a bit of clear nail polish so the two twisted strands don't unravel! And don't be tempted to just seal one end. It's probably worse than leaving both undone. Trust me. :x

Also, why do metallic threads have to make my hands smell bad, hmmmm?



click here for full size! :D


And my girlfriend finished an old WIP of an iris that we found in our craft bag. I did the backstitching. :)



click here for full size! :D


Hoping to get a lot done on something this weekend (not sure what!) as it's COLD outside and I think I'll be spending some quality time with Netflix. XD

3 comments:

  1. The iris one is so pretty and the mermaid is looking very nice.

    I hate the DMC metallic threads! I never thought to seal the ends with nail polish. I may have to try that if I ever use the cursed stuff again.

    Netflix and I are hoping to get a lot of stitching done this weekend here too. Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the LOOK of the DMC metallics, but they're a nightmare to work with! Before I started putting the polish on them, I had a lot of trouble with the strands twisting apart and exposing the core thread inside. Seems like getting the two strands (that make up one strand) stuck together solves a lot of problems. :)

    Yes, I have a nice, loooong date with Netflix... :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The iris is very pretty.

    That mermaid is just so sweet! I should add her to the list...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! If you have a blog, leave me a link so I can follow you. :)